I am a self proclaimed sometimes-a-tarian…What this means is that I will go any number of months without eating meat at all but I am usually a pescatarian ( I eat fish and seafood) and I will occasionally eat meats. I choose not to eat meat that often for environmental, ethical, and health reasons. When I do purchase meat at the store it is organic, free-range, and vegetarian fed; this includes my eggs… Now with that miniature rant out of the way here is my Vegan Kale, Mushroom, Quinoa Pilaf!!!
I did not follow a recipe I just threw some things together and took pictures… lol but I will try to recall from memory what I used.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in and drained
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 Baby Bella Mushrooms sliced
- 5-10 Grape Tomatoes cut in half
- Green onions (or regular onions)
- Half a bag of Kale (sometimes I used the left over kale-pulp from the juicer)
- Garlic salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh herbs of your choice
1) In a medium-sized pot, bring water or vegetable broth to boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook quinoa for about 12 to 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is plumped. Remove from burner and set aside to cool. 2) Place a large dry skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onions, garlic and mushrooms. I like to cook the onions and mushrooms a little bit before I add the kale and quinoa. Add kale by the handful and stir until it is just wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. 3) Stir in quinoa and season to taste. Cook another few minutes or until heated through. Stir in fresh herbs or use them to top individual servings. (I am not a chef, but my daughter said it was num nummy and she is two!) 4) Oh yeah, add the grape tomatoes in at some point too. I used to wait until the very end to add the tomato now I add them at the beginning.
This does not have to be perfect just make sure not to overcook your kale!!
This has been a staple in our house for awhile now, hope you enjoy as much as we do!!